Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cinematic Pride and Prejudice


After writing this post I realized why P&P is generally everyone’s favorite. Because there are so darn many of them. Sheesh.

Pride and Prejudice (1940) with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier (usually I like them). What can I say about this one? Greer Garson was 36 when she stepped into Lizzie’s shoes and Laurence Olivier’s Darcy is practically amiable (Lady Catherine is portrayed as a crotchety prankster, “haha, just kidding, only wanted to see if you were good enough” character. Wrong.) Don’t get me started on the non-regency costumes. But if you ‘re a true P&P fan, go ahead.

               

Pride and Prejudice (1980 mini-series) I started watching this one but didn’t finish it. Mr. Darcy had a very square jaw.

                                    Mr. Darcy 1

So I’m already predisposed not to like him because he automatically reminds me of the jerk sports announcer in The Big Green.

                               Pride and Prejudice 5

See what I mean? Moving on…

Pride and Prejudice (1995 the other mini-series) kept close to the book, excellent performances, really long but good. This was the first P&P I ever saw, I was around 10, loved it, then read the book. So thank you BBC for introducing me to Jane Austen.

                                         Pride and Prejudice 2

Pride and Prejudice (2003) the Mormom version. Modern day, light hearted, kinda cute. The interpretation of Mr. Collins is hilarious.

                                           Pride and Prejudice 3

Pride and Prejudice (2005) Joe Wright’s version isn’t as close to the book but his cinematography is exquisite and it shows a more grimy aspect. Whether or not it’s truly historically accurate is up for debate but it is certainly more rainy, muddy, and crowded than traditional versions, which I like. Plus it’s the only one I own so I watch it the most often.

                                 Pride and Prejudice 4

Bride and Prejudice (2004) the Bollywood version. With Aishwarya Rai playing the character of Lizzie. It’s funny and colorful but all the songs, except one, are sung in English, which I think really detracts from it. Please don’t judge all Bollywood movies by this one. This isn’t typical Bollywood. (Also, totally unrelated side note, neither is Slumdog Millionaire. It’s not Bollywood at all. It’s just a good movie made in India about living in India. Okay, ending rant.)               
                    
                    

Let’s not forget Bridget Jones’s Diary. Although Renee Ze… I-can-say-it-but-I-can’t-spell-it’s version of Lizzie is an only child, chain smoking, clumsy woman who doesn’t have much in common with Elizabeth Bennett except a love triangle. And I can’t remember for sure but I don’t think there is a Collins character. Surprise, guess who plays Darcy (literally named Mark Darcy)? Hey, when it works, it works. Bonus: Jim Broadbent and Gemma Jones as Bridget’s parents. Love them.

                        Pride and Prejudice 6

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment