Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cinematic Mansfield Park


Mansfield Park used to be my favorite of the Jane Austen novels. I felt a kindred spirit thing going on with Fanny, who kept her mouth shut and waited for the guy she loved to realize they’re perfect for each other (even though they’re cousins). Okay, so I didn’t relate to the cousin bit, but the pining, silent type was totally me in high school.

Despite this I really like the 1999 version with Frances O’Connor and Jonny Lee Miller (he’s in everything). It’s not very close to the book (Fanny is sarcastic, opinionated, and somewhat feminist) but I can separate book from movie easier than some people. Unless they mess up Hunger Games like they did Twilight. Then we’re gonna have problems.

                   

Mansfield Park (2007) is the only other version I’ve seen and I have to say it’s quite accurate (the BBC is nothing if not accurate). Fanny is as demure as they come.

                                            Mansfield Park 2

What do you think? Who makes a better Fanny?


Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment